[roc-chat] Re: Rocstock 41 Pictures + Punisher Drag Race Video

  • From: Gene Engelgau <gene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ROC Chat <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 12:35:53 -0700

The Springfest 2015 on board video was awesome. The pilot chute is a
custom color Fruity Chute we made at some point, I can tell by the colors
and the chute bridle.

-Gene

- Regards

Gene Engelgau
Web: http://fruitychutes.com - Professional Aerospace Recovery Systems
Facebook: www.f <http://www.facebook.com/fruitychutes>
acebook.com/fruitychutes
Twitter: @fruitychutes
Cell: 408-499-9050

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 12:28 PM, <kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Couple of things all add up against you here, in no particular order they
are,

1) The relative wind is very much NOT in line with the rocket when it
comes off the pad, the wind was coming from one side, the rocket wants to
turn because of the wind, 2 buttons keep that from happening, once one lts
go for a BRIEF instant the lower one acts like a pivot point.

2) stiff rail, not so stiff mount. Ignoring the rail (assume it as
infinitely stiff) all of the rest of the pad adds to the flex at the top.
This gets magnified by the length of the rail (small angle over long 6')
distance.

3) the thrust isn't in line with the button, small difference but anyone
who has slid a button on has felt what a slight off axis angel feels like.

4) If you leave the rail buttons loose so they spin it creates a
gyroscopic effect off axis creating a torque causing the rocket to twist,
stationary buttons would not have this effect. This is total nonsense but
I cant help throwing another thing for the spinning vs stationary rail
button debaters to obsess about.

Mike Kramer