[roc-chat] Re: ROCtober 2012 totals!

  • From: Mike & Nancy Kramer <kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 20:02:14 -0700

Thanks for all the complements on the event, what I did was just to help coordinate (a little coercion too) and round up LOTS of people that put in a *lot* of work to have a great event!

Thanks to all the people who helped plan, helped setup, helped run the event, showed up, and helped clean up.

With 1,500 rockets launched mostly by kids, I wonder how many of those seeds that were planted turn into the scientist, engineers and teachers of the future. One year after graduating college, I helped design and build a part that went into space, this was just a a few steps from trying to figure out how to scratch build an Estes A motor rocket as a kid.

Mike Kramer

On 10/16/2012 9:39 AM, bsuttonh97@xxxxxxx wrote:
Thank YOU, Mike for making the day so pleasant. You did a great job on the microphone. Next time I get up there I'll need to spend some time LCO'ing.
- Brian

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 15, 2012, at 5:29 PM, Mike Riss <rockt_dude@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rockt_dude@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I think this was one of the most enjoyable launches I've attended, at least in awhile: - Great weather, with warm but not hot days, and cold but not freezing nights, and a
       slight breeze at worst
- Scavenger hunt was fun, and I hate to say it but I somewhat enjoyed those individuals who had items out in the open (like twirling a blue rubber band around their finger)
       walking among the oblivious participants
    - Night launching is fun, and so is having a movie afterwards
- Campfires where I didn't have to bring the firewood, or deal with the ashes afterwards - More than 1000 flights on Saturday, and while there was some waiting, most everyone
      still managed to enjoy the day

A huge thanks to those members who helped out, especially those who went above and beyond (not to single anyone out, but as one example, Greg Lyzenga LCO'ed all day Sunday).

There is one person who should be singled out, and that's Mike Kramer. From answering questions left and right, to running the scavenger hunt and then LCOing the night launch without a break, to all the stuff that happened "behind the scenes", and still having the energy to tear down the range and be one of the last to depart, the success of the event is due mainly to his efforts. No, he didn't do it by himself, but nevertheless, he deserves thanks.

And, maybe something else. I'd like to propose to the BOD that they consider giving him a free 1 year membership for his efforts. I don't know if any of the attendees signed up for membership, but there will surely be at least a few additions to the hobby, and not just the kids, but adults as well.

Mike

    Date: Sunday, October 14, 2012, 10:12 PM

    ROCtober 2012 results

    and the tally was:

    1/2 A 18
    A 126
    B 327
    C 707
    D 85
    E 82
    F 25
    G 44
    H 26
    I 29
    J 14
    K 12
    L 1
    unmarked 11

    For a grand total of 1,507 rockets launched form 8:00 Saturday to
    Noon on Sunday!

    1,293 on Saturday, 214 on Sunday.

    Mike Kramer