[roc-chat] Re: Clusters

  • From: R Dierking <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 09:23:46 -0700

Unless you're planning on just launching one rocket with a cluster of model
rocket motors, the best technique is to create a whipclip with several leads.
I've made these for up to 5 engines.  Tag or color one alligator clip of each
set so you don't get them mixed up on the pad.  Also, provide some slack so the
when the first motor lights it doesn't pull the rest of the igniters out before
they light.  You can also use a small stand or stake and fasten the wires up a
bit; again to provide some slack as the rocket moves up the rail/rod.  Then,
during launch ask the LCO to push and hold the button until the rocket clears.

Quest igniters are alright.  The tips are fragile and the way they are secured
in the nozzle (with the small tube) can be difficult to get them to stay.  The
nozzle on Estes C engines is small compared to A's and B's, so inserting the
Quest igniter into the nozzle with the tube will be difficult.  Hey, you could
glue it in.  That would be cool; like a giant noddle being blown to bits with
an M-80!

Best to use an Estes igniter with the correct plug, check the resistance after
installing the igniter, and use a whipclip arrangement.  And, remember to
recover the whipclip after the launch.  In the past, I've made whipclips using
20 Ga stranded wire and small alligator clips from Radio Shack.

Chris, other than the joke, did anyone respond to your question about when
set-up starts?  Usually, it's when the trailer arrives, and people start
setting up.  If you haul the trailer, it would start when you say it's going to
start.  ;-)

Richard

To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [roc-chat] Re: Clusters
From: Chris.J.Kobel@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 08:17:17 -0700

I believe TR-6 discusses clustering techniques.

Chris

From:
 Jeff Gortatowsky <indanapt@xxxxxxxxx>

To:
 "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

Date:
 05/28/2013 08:34 PM

Subject:
   [roc-chat] Re:
Clusters

Sent by:
   roc-chat-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Flash pan? For three??? Nah. Waste of good
black powder. :) Now for 12... now yer talking.

Chris you can find the old 60's tech report
from Estes on clustering. It's simple and shows the wiring of the estes
'starters'.

However I two have heard the Q2G2's are great
for clustering. They fit just fine. Instead of using the plugs you use
either the protective tube that comes with them, or little balls of wadding
stuffed behind them.

---------------------------------------

Jeff Gortatowsky, Redondo Beach, CA | Twitter: JeffGortatowsky | Yahoo:
indanapt

"(Scientific) Skepticism is not a set
of beliefs, it is a set of methods for asking questions about reality."
-- Doctor Steven Novella

From: "Jack Garibaldi" <jackgaribaldi@xxxxxxx>

To: <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Date: Tue, May 28, 2013 10:32 AM

Chris I stock the
Q2 G2 igniters from Quest in 3.5’ and the 8”

Jack G

From: "Scott Christiansen" <scootdawg30@xxxxxxxxxxx>

To: "ROC" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Date: Tue, May 28, 2013 6:59 AM

I pitch the Estes igniters and
use Quest igniters in parallel. They have longer leads and are more reliable..

To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: chris_coffee@xxxxxxxxxx

Subject: [roc-chat] Clusters

Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 00:44:57 -0700

Have a question about motor clusters and igniters. When using C-size motors
how do you wire them as a cluster? Meaning...since they use those tiny
little wire igniters how do you get them all wired together? Thanks.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless HTC DNA 4G LTE Smartphone