[real-eyes] Re: audible signels

  • From: Paul Mimms <paul8655@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 16:21:12 -0500

To add to the confusion in travel, there is a growing number of
"baby-boomers" growing older, and encountering vision problems, not the
least of which is macular degeneration.  We all know many of these folks
are stubbornly in denial of the loss of independence, if they continue
to drive.  However, they also add to the confusion of pedestrian traffic
if they decide to quit driving and they become untrained visually
impaired travelers.

On 9/6/2011 3:32 PM, Andrea Breier wrote:
> I changed the subject line to reflect the topic.
> Mitch and others, the buttons can be located at an accessible intersection by
> an intermittent beeping sound at each button that is mounted on the pole.
> This sound is set to get louder or quieter depending upon the surrounding
> traffic noise.  The surface at each curb cut has a raised texture so that you
> can insure using your feet that you are right where you need to be to line up
> to cross.  When the light changes and it is safe to cross, an announcement
> starts telling which street is safe for pedestrians. Because the beep happens
> on all corners, you can insure that you are on target by listening to the
> sound a head of you. You can also listen to the traffic sounds as well.
> Sighted pedestrians can tell when to go just by using the traffic lights, but
> they have always been provided with an additional lighted sign telling them
> when it is safe to walk.  I feel that is the city is willing to provide a
> designated sign for pedestrians, it should be accessible, after all they knew
>   any years ago that they had to do something for people using wheel chairs.
> Now ramps are at all corners not just a few like they seem to expect us to
> get by with.  .
> hth.
> Hugs, AJ
> Recipe for happiness: Live with enthusiasm, smile for no reason, love without
> conditions, act with purpose, listen with your heart, and laugh often.
>
> NET SECURITY:  When forwarding email messages please consider your obligation
> to erase all names and email addresses.  And send the message by using BCC
> (Blind Copy) and you will avoid spammers and viruses on the net.
>
> Thank you.
> To subscribe or to leave the list, or to set other subscription options, go

Life is a challenge, and meeting the challenge is my life.