[ratpack] Update on the Canon lens repair nightmare

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:58:07 -0700

I got exactly nowhere with the Canon service center. I finally caved in and paid the ransom to get it fixed because I need that lens.

Their standard line is: "we don't warranty broken parts." That's a verbatim quote from one of the gatekeepers I talked to.

So: I suggest that if anyone is considering the 18-200mm EF-S lens, fuggedaboudit. Furthermore, I'd suggest that any Canon lens be carefully examined to ensure that it doesn't have the same style of lens lock. I wouldn't buy one with that style.

I'm very displeased with Canon. I love their cameras, and most of their products are good. But this particular issue has left them with a black eye that, in my opinion, could have been avoided very easily.

Here's the review I put on amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R24DWL3BGIV66T/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R24DWL3BGIV66T

I'm gonna go looking for some other places to disparage their name.

RtR