[ratpack] Attempt to stretch

  • From: Larry Knight <carpixguy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 09:34:56 -0600

Hey Rat Packers
I made it back from Monterey (and San Fran, Pismo Beach, and that 8 hour
stretch of nothingness from Reno to SLC).
It was a fantastic event. Soooo many interesting cars. I camped in a tent
right at the track above turn 10, just a couple of hundred yard from the
cork screw turn. I even stayed and extra day since a group of Ferrari owners
had rented the track for the next day, and I got to shoot Ferrari F40's,
F430's, 550 Marinello's, 360's, 355's, and even an Enzo running around the
track. OK so they were going kinda slow in the morning as they orientated,
but they still looked marvelous.

But to the point, Dr. Z has been telling me that I need to broaden or
stretch my photographic horizons (or my lens as the case may be), and shoot
something other than cars (Blasphemy!!!!!). Well I do love the ocean, and I
was in Monterey, so I gave it a shot. I think I actually enjoyed it (I did
miss the smell of 110 Octaine while I was shooting the scenery though).

I took the attached shot in Santa Cruz at the amusement park one night. I
liked it, but my wife kinda just went ho - hum over it, so let me know what
you think. I didn't have a tripod or mono pod, so I just set the camera on
the railing of the pier, and put an empty, partially deflated pop bottle
under lens to keep it level.

I shot a bunch of other scenery stuff on the way down highway 1 to Pismo,
but I haven't looked at em yet, tooooooo busy. If there is anything there
that doesn't completely embarrass me, I'll share it later, oh and if any of
the car shots turn out too.

I highly recommend you attend the Monterey Motor Sports Reunion if you can.
The hotels were too pricey for me, but camping worked out really well, other
than I had to run my Truck for two hours to charge camera batteries and
offload pics form the memory cards every night, oh and it was cold and foggy
at night. Still my neighbors were nice (one of them was actually one of the
designers/engineer on the Nissan GTP car that dominated IMSA right before
the Gurney Toyota's dominated it)(very very interesting stories he told).
Most people even went to bed at 10:00pm. I even got to talk with Dario
Franchitti who was there doing a demo run in a Mazarati Bridcage sports car.
Nice man Mr. Franchitti. Did not see his wife, Ashely Judd though. You
should have seen me on the first day. I must have looked like a kid in a
candy store. Oh and they had a Bugatti Grand Prix car group. 35 of those
Bugatti type 59 little blue 1930's cars running around. Wow!

I post a bunch of stuff on my website in a while. I am now in the throws of
coaching two soccer teams, and trying to explain off sides to 10 year olds
(can someone explain it to me first)

See Ya Later
Larr