[racktables-users] Re: Windows 2008 IIS & MS SQL

  • From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 12:11:12 +0000

On Tuesday 23 March 2010 11:58:23 Denis Ovsienko wrote:
> >  Thanks for your quick response.  However, in order to keep the overhead
> >  as low as possible we are trying to simplify our environment.  This
> >  means reducing the number of different software products we have to
> >  maintain and apply security patches and to automate were possible.  Also
> >  backups are simplified as well, since this app could eventually replace
> >  our spreadsheets and Visio; backups would become essential.
>
> Of course, it is your time you spend on maintenance, but MySQL backups are
>  trivial to perform: mysqldump is the only essential thing.

Indeed.  Install an LTS Ubuntu release, set it to auto-update nightly from the
normal and -security repos, and set mysql to dump nightly.  By far the easiest
way to do that is to install webmin, give it the root mysql password, and turn
on regular dumps somewhere.  Then have your backup system pull that file.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"In all life one should comfort the afflicted, but verily, also, one
should afflict the comfortable, and especially when they are comfortably,