[racktables-users] Re: Windows 2008 IIS & MS SQL

  • From: Denis Ovsienko <infrastation@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:58:23 +0300

>  Thanks for your quick response.  However, in order to keep the overhead
>  as low as possible we are trying to simplify our environment.  This
>  means reducing the number of different software products we have to
>  maintain and apply security patches and to automate were possible.  Also
>  backups are simplified as well, since this app could eventually replace
>  our spreadsheets and Visio; backups would become essential.

Of course, it is your time you spend on maintenance, but MySQL backups are
trivial to perform: mysqldump is the only essential thing.

>  With IPPLAN all it took to connect to a remote MS SQL DB Cluster was
>  changing the PHP driver and the connection information.
>
>  I've reviewed a couple of other competitors in this space; Rack Monkey
>  and Racksmith which all seem to have the same requirements.
>
>  So is there no hope of future support, testing, etc. for a Windows
>  platform?

I remember of one guy running RackTables on IIS, I merged a small bugfix from
him. I guess, he was using a Windows version of MySQL. This could also work for
you.

Alternatively, for $5/mo you could get a working LAMP hosting, which would run
your copy of RackTables and save your time. I hope it helps.

--
    Denis Ovsienko