[racktables-users] Re: Searching on Dictionary Terms (Attributes)

  • From: Denis Ovsienko <pilot@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 12:29:33 +0400

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 17:55:26 -0700 Gilmore, Justin (LNG-SEA) wrote:

> [Using Racktables version:  0.17.2]

Hello.

> Is there a way to search and filter by Dictionary terms (Attributes)
> instead of using Tags?  In  trying to avoid tags getting out of control

Could you tell more about the difficulties with tags?

> we have created properties in Dictionaries, however so far we are not
> finding a way to search and filter on these attributes?

You are right, there is currently no way.

> For example, searching "Cisco" does not return any results, even though
> we have Objects with HW Type set to Cisco.

The matter used to be, that searching for, say, "3Com 4500G PWR
48-port" is in fact searching for each of the words, which the phrase
consists of. This very quickly makes the list of "matched" items too
long. Could you suggest any other designs of this new search? I (as
a user) would also be glad to see it implemented one day.

> All I have found so far related to this matter is ticket:
> http://racktables.org/trac/ticket/20 "all DB records should be
> searchable"  which looks to be closed.

That portion of work is over. New feature needs a new spec.

--
    Denis Ovsienko