[racktables-users] Re: Searching on Dictionary Terms (Attributes)

  • From: "Gilmore, Justin (LNG-SEA)" <justin.gilmore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:44:37 -0700

Comments following:
-----------------------

> Is there a way to search and filter by Dictionary terms (Attributes)
> instead of using Tags?  In  trying to avoid tags getting out of
control

Could you tell more about the difficulties with tags?

 [JG] The problem we're seeing with the Tag tree is it quickly gets out
of hand, especially when getting as granular as a hardware model. For
example, it doesn't make sense to create a Tag tree of Cisco > Router >
7606,7609,7613,etc. just for search ability when there is already a
populated Dictionary of "Router Models" right out of the box. The piece
missing is the ability to Search on those dictionary terms.  But, if I
click on any Object and click on its Object Type, it returns a filtered
down list of those Object Types.
        We're trying to reserve the use of Tags specifically for those
things that don't warrant a whole Dictionary, just quick terms or
keywords.

> The matter used to be, that searching for, say, "3Com 4500G PWR
> 48-port" is in fact searching for each of the words, which the phrase
> consists of.... Could you suggest any other designs of this new
search?

 [JG] The Tag filtering dialog box (right-hand side of Objects page) is
already a great start, but it should also include Dictionary terms.  I
guess I don't understand the point of having both Tags and Dictionaries,
especially since the Dictionaries have populated descriptions out of the
box?

        On search dialog design, either the existing Tag Filter format,
or a statement builder with dropdown boxes would be great. As an example
of the statement builder, see the following link to Best Practical
Request Tracker's ticket searching page:

http://bestpractical.com/images/screenshots/rt/3.0/search.gif

If this is something other people are interested in, perhaps it is worth
a feature request?

Thanks,
Justin Gilmore

------

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 17:55:26 -0700 Gilmore, Justin (LNG-SEA) wrote:

> [Using Racktables version:  0.17.2]

Hello.

> Is there a way to search and filter by Dictionary terms (Attributes)
> instead of using Tags?  In  trying to avoid tags getting out of
control

Could you tell more about the difficulties with tags?

> we have created properties in Dictionaries, however so far we are not
> finding a way to search and filter on these attributes?

You are right, there is currently no way.

> For example, searching "Cisco" does not return any results, even
though
> we have Objects with HW Type set to Cisco.

The matter used to be, that searching for, say, "3Com 4500G PWR
48-port" is in fact searching for each of the words, which the phrase
consists of. This very quickly makes the list of "matched" items too
long. Could you suggest any other designs of this new search? I (as
a user) would also be glad to see it implemented one day.

> All I have found so far related to this matter is ticket:
> http://racktables.org/trac/ticket/20 "all DB records should be
> searchable"  which looks to be closed.

That portion of work is over. New feature needs a new spec.

--
    Denis Ovsienko