[racktables-users] Re: Rooms/Floors/Buildings.

  • From: Jason Kincl <jkincl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 13:06:11 -0600

We have been thinking about this for awhile over here. We like how Racksmith
works in doing building room rack but once it gets to a rack their presentation
does not work as well.

What if racks were converted into objects themselves. This solves a few
problems. They could have extra attributes like objects can have. In 0.19.1,
the concept of objects inside other objects has been created. If we had
'container' objects that can hold other objects then you could implement any
kind of facility layout that you want.

Container object: Europe
 * Container object: London
    - rack 1
    - rack 2
 * Container object: Paris
    - rack 1
Container object: US
 * Container object: New York
    - rack 1
    - rack 2
    - rack 3

Then we could extend this and add attributes to these container objects like a
lat long or a x y and implement a frontend that shows these objects on a map
like Racksmith.

On Mar 2, 2011, at 12:44 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On 3/2/2011 12:21 PM, Bryan Taylor wrote:
>> It appears the facilities are implemented as rows. That wouldn't work
>> for me since I would need multiple rows in each facility.
>>
>> I guess this works if you do only have 3 racks in london, 1 in moscow, 3
>> in ny, 1 in tokyo.
>
> Can't you name the location of each row in a way that makes sense? Perhaps
> like location-room-row#?
>
> --
>  Les Mikesell
>   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx