[racktables-users] Re: Container Objects

  • From: Denis Ovsienko <infrastation@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 20:32:28 +0300

01.03.2011, 18:07, "Aaron Dummer" <aaron@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>  How should I best convert the existing:
>>
>>  Virtual servers of type 'Server' to type 'VM'
>>
>>  Blade chassis of type 'Server' to type 'Server chassis'
>
> It's not possible to change the object type from the web interface
> anymore, so you'll have to either delete & re-create the object or use
> manual SQL to change the type.

I disabled the object type SELECT intentionally after I realized, that the old
Attribute*/RackObject SQL relations weren't really suited for the change of
object_type_id and could produce ghost rows. I admit, that it is also breaking
the VM deploy in a way.

> Example: convert a Server to a VM
> UPDATE RackObject SET objtype_id = 1504 WHERE id = $object_id

Direct UPDATE is even a more reliable mean to shoot the same SQL foot.
Suggestions are welcome on resolving this in some reasonable manner.

>>  Also, for the physical stuff, it would be nice to be able to specify a
>>  slot number that a blade/module is in. This information could perhaps
>>  even be used in future to show blade servers in a graphic etc.
>
> I'll add a 'Slot number' attribute.
>
> As for visually displaying blade info in the rackspace view, I'm not
> sure how to approach that.  At least in some cases, there isn't enough
> screen real estate to list all blades.  Right now if you mouse-over a
> mounted container object it displays a list of the child objects.
> Other ideas (and patches) are welcome.

How about displaying the inner details of a container only when the container
is in focus? For example, to the right of the rack or in a "portlet" block
below it?

--
    Denis Ovsienko