[racattack] Re: dhclient-script overwrites /etc/resolv.conf

  • From: Bjoern Rost <b.rost@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racattack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 08:05:01 +0200

> -- Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like the main part of the
> instruction is platform generic now. There is no difference if you
> implementing it on Mac or Windows (may be just a very few things like, shared
> dir setup and possibly routing). Everything else including resolve.conf
> happening within the VMs and are generic to all platforms.

That's the whole point of using vbox. The differences so far are:

- some dialogs in vbox look a little different (but it really should not matter)
- you won't need putty to ssh into the guests, just "Terminal" on OS X or ssh
from any terminal on Linux (I think I'll just add the keyword "ssh into…" to
where it says to use putty.
- you won't need to setup or use vnc but could forward/tunnel X

But I'd leave the instructions as they are and maybe just add one page pointing
out these differences (and people will have to be smart enough to remember that
putty won't work on linux/mac and that they'll have to substitute something)

> OOW: As suggested by Ludovico we will need to organize ~1h RAC Attack Ninjas'
> briefing to discuss the way we run the event (possible presenter - Yury, may
> be someone else) and go through most important (where people have most of the
> confusion) steps (Presenter ?Ludovico?).

I would not worry about this too much. It does not hurt to be prepared but the
experience from the last events showed that as long as volunteers have a
general idea of how racetrack works they can help out. Most struggles had to do
either with vmware (yeah, we kicked that out!) or making typos or leaving out
steps.
But I am happy to share that with you guys on site, too. And we could also use
the hour before racetrack starts on tuesday. People are always attracted to
crowds and when they see a bunch of ninjas discussing secret mysterious
business they may get interested to just join, sit down and start attacking the
rac.

cheers
bjoern