[pythonvis] print"Hello world."

  • From: Antonio Guimaraes <freethaught@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pythonvis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pythonvis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 14:48:46 -0400

Hi all,

It takes a lot of setting up to even get to write my first line of code in
Python, and have it work as expected.

Here is a set of steps I think must be taken before this can happen.

I'm missing something for sure, and would appreciate some feedback.

1. Choose what version of Python I'll use, and download it from the Python.org
site.

2. Install the Python file I downloaded from the site. For me it is Python
2.7.6.

Is sounds like steps 1 and 2 are not needed according to LPTHW, Learn Python
the Hard Way. One will use Terminal instead?

3. Per Learn Python the Hard Way site, learn a few commands to manage files ad
directories on Terminal.

4. Save a file called ex1.py to correspond with exercise 1 from the Learn
Python the Hard Way site.

You may remember I am having difficulties saving something as *.py on the mac
from my prior messages.

I cannot more forward from here if I do not overcome this step. I'll work on
saving a .py file on another thread.

5. Type

print "Hello world!."

into the ex1.py file and save it.

6. In terminal, type python ex1.py

I do not know if I must be inside the directory where the ex1.py file is saved
in order for the python ex1.py command to run appropriately.

7. Wait for Terminal to print the all too famous phrase, and cheer. Success!

I am not getting to step 7. One thing I know must happen is to save tiles
correctly.

The other big questions have to do with steps 1 and 2. Are they necessary? What
is the program one downloads from the python.org site, and why do I need it?

How does that program interact with Terminal on the Mac.

Thank you very much,

Antonio