[python] Re: trail vs wheelsize

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 19:50:03 +0200

On 08.10.2006 17:37, Olaf Johansson wrote:

I find both Dirk's and Lennart's pythons more heavy-steered and sluggish than monty, but that could have other reasons than wheel
size.

Ja, very complex everything. One major problem when comparing different pythons is that once you are used to your own, every other feels strange in the beginning and once you are used to the other and change back to your own, this is the one that feels strange now.

It is funny that after three years of experimenting with the
python geometry we still have no clue.

I have no computer on monty, but going downhill at around 40 kph I start imagining about ambulances, nurses and cruches. The bike feels
not safe.

With 40 kph I would not feel save with any recumbent that only has a front wheel coaster brake and no rear brake at all ...

Olaf, how much kilometers of riding experience you have with your
Monty? I am asking because riding skill is an important factor
when trying fast downhills.

If you shorten the wheelbase more weight shifts to the front part

Then why do people say that with longer wheelbase you get less wheel slip? What piece of the puzzle have I lost?

My fault, it's as you say: Shorter WB brings less weight to the front wheel, thus causing loss of traction.

Keep us in the loop Dennis, the Netherlands should be a perfect hunting ground for pythons ...

Ach, hilltops are so beautiful ...

Yeah, on my last tour to Karlsruhe, I learned to love the hills.