[python] Re: trail vs wheelsize

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 20:28:59 +0200

On 07.10.2006 09:55, Dennis Budding wrote:

when I make a python with the data of for example P3, same trail, same pivot angle and same wheelbase but with 18 inch wheels can I expect a bike with the same riding behaviour or wil it be completely
different. (so has the wheelsize also something to do with the steeringbehaviour)

The steering behaviour is surely influenced by the wheelsize. Bigger wheels make the front part heavier and this counteracts the centering effect. Also small wheel python riders report downhill coasting speeds of 60 kph and above while bigwheelers have their limit around 50 kph.

But as there are too few experienced riders around who can try
different pythons there is no scientific basis for a good theory
yet.

when I shorten the wheelbase and keep all other specs the same does that influence the self centering effect or only the turningcircle.

If you shorten the wheelbase more weight shifts to the front part resulting in less centering effect - I think.

I'm planning the 18inch bike based on the bike on the foto, only adding a second front fork and an optima bike seat. because my weldingskills are a little bit less than zero I'll have to find someone to weld it for me. hopefully this month

Keep us in the loop Dennis, the Netherlands should be a perfect hunting ground for pythons ...