[python] Re: trail vs wheelsize

  • From: Ray Schumacher <mtb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 10:55:07 -0700

At 08:37 AM 10/8/2006, you wrote:

The steering behaviour is surely influenced by the wheelsize.
Bigger wheels make the front part heavier and this counteracts
the centering effect.

I find both Dirk's and Lennart's pythons more heavy-steered and sluggish than monty, but that could have other reasons than wheel size.

I think the reduced negative trail with smaller wheels has a significant effect

If you shorten the wheelbase more weight shifts to the front part

Then why do people say that with longer wheelbase you get less wheel slip? What piece of the puzzle have I lost?

I couldn't imagine wheel slip on my python! Also, consider the extremes: if a 10" rear wheel under the seat - weight might then be 50-50 if a 3 meter wheelbase it would have almost all the weight force on the front ?

Ray