[python] spring leaf as pivot

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 17:08:10 +0100

Bonjour Pierre-Philippe,

But I've been thinking: wouldn't it be possible to do away with the pivot altogether and replace it with a spring leaf?

A spring leaf sounds like an interesting idea!

We discussed all sorts of pivot solutions, including door hinges
and nylon bushings. Also we thought of a thick (3 cm) rubber leaf,
but abandoned this idea because of the torsional forces.

Do you mean steel as the leaf material? Any pictures of these leaves?
What dimensions and weight would these leaves have for our purpose?

... would have an angular range in the order or +-15 degrees on
either side, perhaps more.

That should do for most riding situations, but does not allow really
tight turnings.

What's more, it would also strengthen the self-centering effect, as the spring(s) would fight any turning effort as a linear function of the turning angle.

Correct. And you don`t need a steering stop, when parking the bike.

Unaided, the springs alone couldn't fight torsional efforts very well
when turning, so perhaps a pair of small guiding bearings or bushings could be added, but at least the springs would bear the entire load of the rider, which the bearings wouldn't have to withstand.

How to arrange these guidings?

... and perhaps an additional static turning effort wouldn't be desirable ...

The leverarm of the legs is quite large. I would give it a try.