[python] Re: spring leaf as pivot

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 15:40:15 +0100

On 24.03.2007 10:50, dirk.bonne@xxxxxxx wrote:
As for weight, it should be less than 1kg, and that's for a fail-safe paranoid design. Weight could be shaved off by reducing the thickness of the spring ends, and by greatly reducing the size of the bearings.
A 110mm bottom bracket + the BB tube weighs in all 460g.. That is not
easy to beat...

Thanks Pierre-Phillipe, a good drawing says more than 1000 words.

I second Dirk concerning the weight. Also I would prefer more
simple solutions, but have no clue how to solve the torsion
issue in a simple way.

A python without a spring or person on it, tends to flop around its
pivot, like a fish that just came out of the water.

That's why mine has a steering stop mechanism while using the stand.
The ability of pushing the bike already says a lot about the
centering/flop ratio.

On 23.03.2007 20:13, Oupa wrote:
> what about the use of motorcycle headsets?
> also the wheel bearings of junked cars should be plentiful and cheap.

Old car wheel bearings (tapered roller) are great. I used them for my
fourth  python (P4). But you need access to a lathe for machining the
housing.