[python] Re: pivot quality

  • From: "25hz" <25hz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:55:22 -0700

For my first python, the BHP, I used sealed 12mm bearings very similar to
the ones Jurgen posted a picture of.  They worked fine, were/are likely
massive overkill and after 2000km+ they were as smooth as when they were
installed.  Hopefully they are still as smooth for the brave soul who bought
it :)

On the 2nd python of mine, the PC2, I used the "aircraft rods".  They're
actually called (at least over here in North America) "rod ends" or "Heim
joints".  Anyway, they were not high quality, super strong, or anything
else.  They were just plain old farm grade, 1/2" rod ends that were about
$15 Cdn each that I bought at the local hardware store.  I sued them because
they were so much easier to build for and I also wanted the pivot to be
adjustable so I could experiment with the pivot angle and find out what the
optimum angle was to make it easier to learn to ride.
http://fleettrikes.com/python%202%20pivot%20final.jpg

There was no machining, all the steel used was stock dimensions and the
pivot bolt is a plain old 1/2" NC Grade 5 bolt with a Nyloc nut.  The plate
they bolt to is nothing more than a 1/4" thick piece of mild steel that is
1.5" wide and about 4.5" long.  I dabbed a little 3 In One oil on the rod
ends every now and then for lubrication, just in case, cranked the pivot
bolt down good and tight, and that's it.  It steers smooth as silk, but not
quite as freely as the sealed bearings.  There was about 500km on it when a
guy came running up, asked a bunch of questions about it, and bought it on
the spot.  In less than 30 minutes he had learned to balance it and was
riding short distances on it.  I weigh around 98 to 100 kg, and there is no
hint of movement or play in those rod ends at all.  They will likely last as
long as the bike, the selaed bearings or longer because there is no real
moving part to them like bearings.  Even if they do fail, another $15 and
about 5 minutes replaces them.  Keep in mind formula 1 race cars use 1/2"
rod ends for their suspension and steering (of course probably higher
quality).  Racing go-carts that can go in excess of 120kph only use 3/8" and
5/16" rod ends for their linkages and steering.  In my opinion and
experience so far, the rod ends work very well, are cheaper than bearings,
require much less custom fabrication and adaptation.  If you want to use rod
ends, get inexpensive ones first.  If they end up failing on you, it won't
be catastrophic, you'll probably start to feel a little play first and be
able to see that there is a problem.  I think you will be fine with them for
quite a while and might not need to replace them at all, and then you will
have saved yourself a bunch of money.  Maybe some of the other people who
used rod ends on their pythons have different experiences with them?