[python] Re: pivot quality

  • From: dirk.bonne@xxxxxxx
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:54:53 +0200

Hi Jürgen,

To make a good photo of such a little thing is easier asked then done.
It rises far above my abilities with the camera to make a photo of the
small dents in the bearing cap. I attached my best result ---still
better then some of the UFO photos but not a lot. With a little bit of
good will on your side, you can see the dents at regular distances on
the inner cap. I can easily feel the dents by going over the cap wall
with my finger nail. The dents are nearly all around with some places
are worse (I suspect the front or back). All the caps have dents.

Now for the reason, I do not want to give the full fault to the
bearings. I have mistreated them by heating them up (I did not braze on
the shell directly, but I remember welding my handlebar tube on the
frame while having the bearings in and that may have been near enough).

Anyway I do not think this pivot solution is so neat: These bearings are
not sealed, and even though I filled the pivot up with grease, there was
still a lot of sand in it (I attached a photo of the pivot shell where
you see the flimsy sealing solution I choose: just a spacer above and
below). You can also see the rust: Denmark has not only a lot of sand it
is also very salty...

liebe Grüße,
Dirk

Jürgen Mages wrote:
> Hej Dirk,
>
> did you use these bearings:
>
> http://dirkb.dnsalias.net/image/python/skf_7201B.half.jpg
>
> As far as I remember, Eduardo from Brazil used the same
> type of angular contact ball bearings (Schrägkugellager).
>
> If so, these pivot types are left for the choice:
>
>  - tapered roller bearings
>  - rod end bearings
>  - cartridge bottom bracket
>
> Could you please send us a photo of the destroyed bearings?
>
> Groetjes,
> Jürgen.

JPEG image

JPEG image