[python] Re: pivot quality

  • From: "Torben Scheel" <torben@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:46:16 +0200

..and the flevobearings very much resembles wheelbearings. I'm sure you can
get both housing, axle and bearings at http://www.ligfietsshop.nl/. More
expensive than wheelbearings, though - but a carhub and wheelaxle is'nt
normally suited to be used on a  bike :-)
Cheers,
Torben

From: dirk.bonne@xxxxxxx

To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:54:53 +0200

Hi Jürgen,

To make a good photo of such a little thing is easier asked then
done.

It rises far above my abilities with the camera to make a photo of
the

small dents in the bearing cap. I attached my best result ---still

better then some of the UFO photos but not a lot. With a little bit
of

good will on your side, you can see the dents at regular distances
on

the inner cap. I can easily feel the dents by going over the cap
wall

with my finger nail. The dents are nearly all around with some
places

are worse (I suspect the front or back). All the caps have dents.

Now for the reason, I do not want to give the full fault to the

bearings. I have mistreated them by heating them up (I did not braze
on

the shell directly, but I remember welding my handlebar tube on
the

frame while having the bearings in and that may have been near
enough).

Anyway I do not think this pivot solution is so neat: These bearings
are

not sealed, and even though I filled the pivot up with grease, there
was

still a lot of sand in it (I attached a photo of the pivot shell
where

you see the flimsy sealing solution I choose: just a spacer above
and

below). You can also see the rust: Denmark has not only a lot of sand
it

is also very salty...

liebe Grüße,

Dirk