[python] Re: lean steer trike

  • From: "Hillel Seltzer" <hseltzer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:59:55 -0500

On Tuesday, December 23, 2003 3:08 PM "Juergen Mages" <jmages@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Correct. It is impossible to build a center-steered
> lowracer with positive trail because the steering angle would
> be too sharp and the bike would be very instable.
>
> >I figure that there is a good
> >reason why Flevo-bike and other commercial center-steer
> >designs tend to use a much sharper angle near 45 degrees,
>
> There is a very good reason: Non-lowacer center-steered bikes
> are not stable with negative trail.
>
> The only reason why the python works is the hanging pendulum
> principle.

So for the python, turning the angle of the pivot farther back to
be more like the flevo-bike would be a BAD IDEA (even if the cranks
could be kept at the same height)?  (I just want this to be clear).

Also, at what point in raising the seat height would it pass
from requiring negative trail for stability to being unstable with
negative trail?

Have a great holiday,
---Hillel