[python] Re: lean steer trike

  • From: "Hillel Seltzer" <hseltzer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:39:38 -0500

On Friday, December 19, 2003 2:57 PM <spartansmoke@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Judging from the size of the cranks, I'd guess the tube size is 1 1/2 inch
> and by the stated weight of 36 pounds using 4130 chromoly I imagine Bob used
> .065 wall diameter tubing.  4130 x .065 weighs .9962 per linear foot.  One
> would have to experiment and see what the optium tube size versus stiffness
> would be.  It's really difficult to tell much from the limited views he
> provides.

I sent Bob an e-mail to ask him.  He replied that it is
1.25 x .049 4130 tubing.  He also wrote that the production
models will have the rear wheels farther forward for better
cornering while the frame stays the same length.

> I think Juergen made reference a few days ago to the angle of the sterring
> pivot having a lot do with the overall handling characterisitcs.  As I
> recall, he said the angle was 80 degrees.

Maybe Jeurgen should let us know.  From the web site I got
the impression that the 80 degree angle was the result of
other design requirements, like his pivot attachment method
and where he wanted the cranks.  It just ended up to work
well for him and his riding style.  I figure that there is a good
reason why Flevo-bike and other commercial center-steer
designs tend to use a much sharper angle near 45 degrees,
and using round pipe would allow for incorporating that into
the Python design.

> On another note...
>
> I built a trailer that I pull behind one of my bikes a few weeks ago, which
> in principal pivots much like  a center steer bike.  I just slammed it
> together in about an hour without giving much thought to the angle of the
> pivot.    Fortunately, it worked out very well.  I don't think I'd want to
> use it for touring, but it works great for hauling things around town.  So
> far, the heavest load I've put on it is a little over 100 pounds.
>
> The reason I bring this up is beacuse My cash outlay for the trailer was $0
> (I used completely recycled metal parts), it required NO welding which for
> some builders is a big plus and I built it in less than one hour.
>
> If anyone is interested in I'll take some mearsurement, and make some
> sketches.  I might even take a pic or two if Santa remembers that I was a
> good boy this year and want a digital camera.  :-)

Sounds really cool!  Please send more details if you can.

---Hillel