[python] Re: lean steer trike

  • From: "Juergen Mages" <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:08:33 +0100

>Maybe Jeurgen should let us know.  From the web site I got
>the impression that the 80 degree angle was the result of
>other design requirements, like his pivot attachment method
>and where he wanted the cranks.  It just ended up to work
>well for him and his riding style.

Correct. It is impossible to build a center-steered
lowracer with positive trail because the steering angle would
be too sharp and the bike would be very instable.

>I figure that there is a good
>reason why Flevo-bike and other commercial center-steer
>designs tend to use a much sharper angle near 45 degrees,

There is a very good reason: Non-lowacer center-steered bikes
are not stable with negative trail.

The only reason why the python works is the hanging pendulum
principle.

Wish you all a merry Christmas,

Juergen.