[python] Re: Turning radius/off-road capability

  • From: Sam van Herwaarden <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:38:28 +0200

Half of the diameter of the turning cycle is the
turning radius = 2.5 m

Imagine a circle of 5 m in diameter. That is the
minimum space where I can ride.

OK, sorry - hadn't noticed that...

I love to go offroad. That is why I chose thick 26" wheels.

I made experiences with Peer Gynt, flevobike, airbike, Streetmachine,
ZOX 20 low and ZOX 26 low.

What is absolutely unique to the python is the ability to support your
balance with both hands on the ground, and you never have to leave the
pedals (great with clipless ones) in difficult situations.
Of course I cannot make jumps or sharp turns, but I can ride on trails
where I would not dare to go with another recumbent.

OK, I hadn't thought of that aspect of the Python yet - that's nice! So basically you could handle any terrain that allows you to put you hands on the ground. I could imagine that narrow paths through undergrowth would be very nasty though - you're very broad at the base and you don't want to put your hands in thorn-bushes.

What I noticed when browsing through the galleries:
The BB-height seems to be very high compared to the seat height and angle (especially the angle!). I noticed that the recumbents I know off have their BB's about 10-15 cm higher than the seat height. Would you mind to measure how this is with your Python?

I just kinda ordered the metal - I want to make my first Python exactly the way you described and learn to ride it and braze. After that I'm really interested in building a carbon one with a small rear wheel and nice parts. I wonder how that would work.

Some time ago I wrote a kind of formula to determine how much (theoretically and approximately :)) the center pivot would rise at a certain degree. That would be really useful when changing sizes and the like. I don't know where I put it though, but I think I could "calculate" it again, though I was already sure it wasn't entirely correct (didn't know of a way to make it).

Sam