[python] Re: Turning radius/off-road capability

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 11:24:35 +0200

> OK, I hadn't thought of that aspect of the Python yet - that's nice! So
> basically you could handle any terrain that allows you to put you hands
> on the ground. I could imagine that narrow paths through undergrowth
> would be very nasty though - you're very broad at the base and you don't
> want to put your hands in thorn-bushes.

Of course, a real python has better offroad capabilities ;-)
I will make a small video of me going offroad, so that you can
see how it works.

> What I noticed when browsing through the galleries:
> The BB-height seems to be very high compared to the seat height and
> angle (especially the angle!). I noticed that the recumbents I know off
> have their BB's about 10-15 cm higher than the seat height. Would you
> mind to measure how this is with your Python?

I measured 19 cm.

> Some time ago I wrote a kind of formula to determine how much
> (theoretically and approximately :)) the center pivot would rise at a
> certain degree. That would be really useful when changing sizes and the
> like. I don't know where I put it though, but I think I could
> "calculate" it again, though I was already sure it wasn't entirely
> correct (didn't know of a way to make it).

There is one formula to calculate the pivot rising depending on the
steering angle (alpha), the turning angle (beta) and the trail (n):

n * sin (alpha) * cos (alpha) * (1 - cos (beta))

With this formula you get a maximum with a steering angle of 45 deg.
But the practice is much more complicated because the wheel flop will
increase, thus destabilizing the bike. I gave up calculating the optimum,
and still recommend an angle around 65 degrees.