[python] update on Sacramento Python

  • From: Burket Kniveton <burketk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 13:35:55 -0700 (PDT)

Howdy all,
here's an update on my Python.
If you look beyond the aesthetics and butchery of my brazing ability, believe
it or not the thing actually works!

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/paradude2003/my_photos

numbers-
front wheel- 24"                 rear wheel-  26"
WB- 46.5"
seat height- 11.5"
weight- 35lbs.
Head Tube angle 65*
$ invested-  $25.00  (includes one six pack of Newcastle Brown Ale)

My initial idea was to see if i could build a bike from mostly scrounged parts
with a minimum investment. It started out with me coasting down my driveway in
the middle of the night so my neighbors wouldn't freak out and call the cops. I
was totally frustrated because i couldn't even balance on the beast, i
constantly fell over and it felt like i was trying to ride on the head of a
pin. Thankfully due to a lousy brazing job on the head tube to front fork joint
the bike finally split in two and i was so frustrated i was one step away from
throwing the whole thing in the trash. After pausing to drown my sorrows in my
favorite beer, i came to my senses and decided to give it one last chance and
went back to the laboratory (the side of my house) to patch things up.
I shortened the wheel base so i actually could reach the peddles, put her back
together and confidently, in broad daylight no less, in front of my wife no
less, went at it again today. After about half an hour of mostly flopping
around, i'm at the point that i can ride the beast for about 10 yards before i
inevitable crash. At first i was very tense but the more i relaxed my body the
easier it was to ride. I finally crashed  one to many and have to adjust the
handle bars. So back to the lab.
I think i'll connect all the brakes and shifter cables and really put some
effort into making this thing work.
Jurgen a question for you, The bike still seams very unstable, do you think if
i adjusted the head tube angle closer to 70* that it would help it be more
stable? Also when i push on the peddle with my feet i induce a torque to the
front wheel that makes it difficult to steer. Is it my riding technique or
something else that i can adjust to alleviate this?

Regards to all Python freaks.

Burk