[python] Re: The old qustion of PSI

  • From: Rhisiart Gwilym <Rhisiart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 23:39:48 +0100

I'm getting the bug for steerable handlebars too. I still haven't managed to ride my pure Python bike more than 30 metres before I lose it. But I knocked up a rough tryout over-the-knees handlebar recently, and found an instant improvement. I'm welding up a tidy Mark 2 version right now, as a permanent addition.

It's over-the-knees because I'm still plotting to be able to ride in continuous rain (an essential capability in our climate), and I have this idea for the bars, which are shaped something like the MacDonald 'golden arches', to double as a shaping frame for a slip-on front-end cape for when it's wet. This idea was inspired by a fairing that Wolfgang Bion built for his 'Forelle' recumbent. Instead of trying to describe it, I'll post some pictures, when finally I've got something substantial to show.

Still struggling to ride, and going back to the workbench multiple times just now. I still have this hunch that, once I finish the trike back-end too, and try it just the one time, I'll never go back to the bike. But I cling to this nagging wish to crack the bike-riding first, just to know that I can do it. Do you suppose that older riders just lack the sharp balance faculty that we have when young? I'm having quite a struggle.

The handlebars do seem to help though, for me anyway.  Hwyl fawr, RhG