[python] Re: PC2 info

  • From: "Torben Scheel" <torben@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:10:53 +0200

> Most of the foreign python riders prefer handlebars. All five pythons
> here in my hometown have none. Do you use the bars for steering
> or just as a holder for brake-, gear-levers and hands?

My Python would have been recycled if it wasn't for the handlebars. I can
ride it without, but there's not much confidence at speeds beyond 20km/h.
What I fear most when I ride w/o handlebars (and with normal shoes) is
dropping a foot, so uneven roads is a nightmare. With the handlebars the
feeling is much more "integrated" = I can ride more relaxed and freely and
move a foot if the position on the pedal is not perfect (normally I ride
with clipless pedals though). I think a third important thing for an
integrated feeling is the seatpolster - it should "glue" the rider to the
seat. My recent handlebar upgrade made the confidence the best so far. Now
I can easily reach the handlebars (and the brakes), and the handlebars
prevent the sudden wipe outs to some extent. How you manage to move the
feet around when driving without handlebars connected to the front is one
of life's little mysteries for me.

As a side note : the clipless pedals on the python presented a new problem
- normally i clip out by turning the heel inwards - not the best solution
on my sub species - the wheel is in the way :-)

> I ask this because handlebars, especially under seat increase the
> air-drag a lot. Also two pythons with handlebars cannot ride
> so close together.

Air drag doesn't worry me a lot - the python is by far my lowest bike. I
haven't had a chance to ride side-by-side with other pythons so far, and
I'd suspect the other rider would prefer some distance anyway :-)

> When cruising I rest my hands on the thigh/hip region.
> When speeding up I put my arms behind the seat, hands resting
> on the frame.
> Pressing with both arms against the knees/thighs also brings some
> km/h more speed.

Hopefully I'll use that technique sometime in the future, and grab the
bars only when the going gets rough.

Cheers,
Torben