[python] Re: Evolution Bike

  • From: George Durbridge <gdurbrid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 23:28:58 +1100

Assuming that the Evolution used an unmodified Nu Vinci CVT and a 26"
driven wheel, I worked out that it would have gearing from 13" to 47",
which is very low, leading to the scenario Uipko described. The Nu Vinci
site suggests doubling these numbers by driving their gearbox through a
40-tooth chainwheel and a 20-tooth sprocket, but that is impractical
with the Evolution design.

(I think that 13" gearing is equal to about 1 metre development, and 47"
to about 3.5 metres. The gear inch measurement is the diameter of an
imaginary wheel, and I think the development is the circumference of the
same wheel.)

Following up Marek's link, I now see the gearbox contains a planetary
stage, as well as the CVT stage, more or less like putting a Schlumpf
transmission into the same housing as a Nu Vinci. It won't be light,
cheap or stepless, but it should lift the gearing to a useful range. The
Nu Vinci exists, but Marek is right to ask whether any such combined
transmission is on the market.