[pure-silver] Re: toxicity

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 14:19:41 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Sinclair" <photo1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2009 10:42 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: toxicity

Alas,

History better indicates that pictographs were a means of communication and 'recording' before 'writing' (as we know it) was invented.

ken

There are certainly many pictographic languages in the world Chinese and Japenese among them. Spoken Chinese has many dialects which are not mutually understandable by their speakers. However the written language is pretty much universal. I think there may also be a difference in learning and memory among people who are brought up with pictographic languages. Specific pictographs must be learned and remembered and they have a direct releationship to the meaning. Phonetic languages, which include all European languages, are doubly symbolic. That is, it is the spoken words that convey the meaning and the symbols convey the sounds. One can sound out a language which one does not speak. The memory load is different since the spoken language must be learned and the symbolic written language is much simpler. I found in translated instruction books that Sony, for instance, tells you to make a measurement and _remember it_ where Ampex says "make a note of it". Maybe learning a pictographic language results in a high development of some memory centers than phonetic language. This argument probably has holes in it but I am convinced that there is some basis in truth. It is interesting that one can read a pictographic language without being able to speak it, or, for that matter, even knowing how it sounds. Of course, one can speak any language without being able to write it and we have ancient languages such as classical Latin and Greek that were written in a phonetic alphabet but the original sound equivalents have been at least partially lost so no one really knows how they sounded.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL