[pure-silver] Re: tmx 3200 problem

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:16:56 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Nelson" <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:51 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: tmx 3200 problem

Thanks Richard.

I was about to resend my question as it never made it to my box, and yet was on the freelist archive. Mysteries of the net.

So 15 gms of citric added to 1 liter of rapid fix for 2-5 minutes?

I've got 8 bloody rolls of this nonsense (all from the one film run) so wiping them all isn't that appealing, nor could I do them all thoroughly in limited time I'll have to do it. I could see how it looks that wiping them might be the ticket (unfortunately) as in the scan you can see where I had handled the film on the leader when I hung the film.

I've left 7 of the 8 rolls uncut in hopes that I could do some treatment on the reels after which I'll have a chat w/the Kodak boys as to why their products do such things when you follow all the rules.

Eric

The time required depends on the material. The film should be wetted, that is soaked in water for a few minutes and then immerced in the reducer and agitated. Watch it to seen when the fog is removed and stop the process as soon as that happens. Treat the film in wash aid and wash. The fixer-citric acid combination will also dissolve the image silver so it needs to be watched carefully. Dichroic fog is a deposit of "colloidal" silver. This is extremely finely devided silver, the fineness of the grains is what makes it dissolve much faster than the image silver, which, even on printing paper or fine grain negative film is very much coarser. Colloidal silver is yellow by transmission, in fact, the yellow filter layer in Kodachrome film is made of colloidal silver. Because it is such a thin layer it reflects light of the complimenary color. Because it is not always uniform the reflected light may be of various colors looking something like an oil slick and for the same reason, that is, interference because of the thinness of the layer. Dichroic fog can be produced in any bath containing silver solvent. This is the case with many developers and definitely with fixing baths. Some developers contain a silver sequestering agent to keep dissolved silver in solution. I suppose similar materials could be added to fixing baths but are not common in B&W fixers. Dichroic fog can also be produced in the fixing bath where a non-acid or alkaline fixer is used along with a plain water stop bath. The reason is that the carried over developer can convert some of the dissolved silver halide in the fixing bath to metallic silver which is then deposited on the film or paper. I am not convinced that the blotchs on these negatives _are_ dichroic fog. A test using the fixing bath bleach will help determine that. I have encountered this sort of blotching on old film, well beyond its expiration date. I don't know the mechanism. There are various other treatments to remove stains from negatives but all carry the risk of ruining the negative plus its necessary to know what sort of stain one is dealing with. One of the common treatments is a re-halogenating permanganate bleach followed by re-development. Kodak describes such a bleach and the procedure for using it in various publications. I probably have this material and could copy it if desired.