[pure-silver] Re: tank and tray cleaner

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:15:26 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Gaylen" <mgaylen@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 11:29 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: tank and tray cleaner

> that was the recipe I had. How many grams would be more
> appropriate?
>
> On Sep 21, 2004, at 8:31 AM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

    The formula for Kodak TC-1 is typical.

Sulfuric Acid, concentrated        90.0 ml
Potassium dichromate               96.0 grams
Water to make                      1.0 liter

Other versions specify 90 grams of dichromate so I suspect
the amounts are not critical.
The cleaner can be diluted 1:1 for some purposes and can be
reused many times. It probably can be reused until it
doesn't bleach out the stains well.

   Another tray/equipment cleaner is Kodak TC-2, especially
recommended for removing silver stains.

Kodak TC-2
Solution A
Water                            1.0 liter
Potassium Permanganate           5.0 grams
Sulfuric Acid, concentrated     10.0 ml

Solution B
Water                            1.0 liter
Sodium Bisulfite                10.0 grams

To use pour solution A into the tray and allow to remain for
a few minutes with agitation.
Then rinse with water and replace with Solution B until the
stain is removed. Then wash thoroughly in water.

To dissolve the Permanganate use a small volume of very hot
water (180F or 82C). Stir vigorously until throroughly
dissolved. Then dilute the volume with cold water.

---