[pure-silver] Re: tank and tray cleaner

  • From: Matthew Gaylen <mgaylen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:58:09 -0500

Just my observation... knowing there are 6.023*10^23 pages of
information out there I don't know about chemistry...

...but I can't imagine dumping 93 grams of potassium dichromate into a
liter of sulphuric acid... kaboom!

I measured the heat generated by dumping 8 grams into a 1:10 dilution
of distilled water/sulphuric acid at greater than 120-degrees F and it
stayed pretty darn warm for quite some time in an open container.

No children allowed!

Now, I know why the recipe I had advised against adding the dichromate
directly to the sulphuric acid (at least I think I do) and recommended
diluting the sulfuric acid first and then adding the dichromate.

Yours (wearing Nyplex gloves AND the Photo-formulary apron),

--
joe suburbs the post modern hyper rural sub urban anti hero and
vertiginous surrealist

P.S. thanks for the definition of 1-Normal. That's the kind of
information that makes photography even more fun.

For those of you who are familiar with the film, "Young Frankenstein,"
I'll just say that especially in light of our recent discussion about
list transmogrification, most of us are less 1-Normal and more towards
"Abby" Normal.