[pure-silver] Re: simple stop bath recipe?

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 11:58:29 -0700

   I am not sure about the use of citric acid but soft drinks seem to have contained phosphoric acid for many years. I think it is the phosphoric acid which allows Coca Cola to dissolve iron nails. Phosphoric is another chelating agent and is found in some rust removers like Naval Jelly. Another chealating agent is oxalic acid, which is found in Zud and Barkeeper's Friend. It seems to me that oxalic acid is found in some photographic formulas but I can't remember which or with any certainty if it is. Malic acid is mentioned in some technical discussions, I am not sure if its used in any photographic formulas. I think it is one of the alternatives to acetic acid mentioned in the WW-2 vintage list of substitutes.

On 3/21/2021 11:37 AM, titrisol (Redacted sender titrisol for DMARC) wrote:

Wilbert
Malic and Citric have, unfortunately, been replaced by phosphoric acid which is a lot cheaper in the big-brand sodas
Some small brands still keep them, and I think they taste better.  Especially apple soda made with malic acid.

WB6KBL