[pure-silver] Re: simple stop bath recipe?

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 21:17:28 -0700

   I think health food stores have citric acid. Its used in cooking among other places. Not sure of the forms but I think it comes in crystals. Probably a google search would find it.

On 3/20/2021 6:56 PM, Janet Gable Cull wrote:

Where would one buy citric acid? Does it come in more than one form?

Janet Gable Cull
Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 20, 2021, at 5:02 AM, Asmo Saarikoski <asmo.saarikoski@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

One more note:  if you decide to use vinegar stop, you'll also need good
ventilation when just using a less concentrated working solution even if the
smell doesn't bother you.

It happened to me a few times that after a longish printing session with
acetic acid  stop in an open tray, I got headache like a hangover the next
day.   Switching to citric acid for printing ended that.   And I built better
ventilation to the next darkroom...

Enjoy printing!
Asmo

On lauantaina 20. maaliskuuta 2021 1.30.44 EET Janet Gable Cull wrote:
Thank you! The smell of vinegar doesn't bother me a bit. I drink it. And
hey, that sure is cheaper than indicator stop bath. My gosh chemicals and
film and paper have gone up in price… along with everything else.

Thanks again!

Janet Gable Cull
Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 18, 2021, at 3:58 PM, Tim Daneliuk <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:>
On 3/18/21 2:48 PM, Janet Gable Cull wrote:
Is there a recipe for home brew stop bath with easily acquired
ingredients? Thank you.

Jane

28% acetic acid - 6oz/gal water to make working solution

You can make make 28% acetic acid from pure "glacial" acetic acid, just
be very careful to wear eye and hand protection and work in a well
ventilated area.  Don't breathe the fumes.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx