[pure-silver] Re: short dev. times/to Jim and Bob

  • From: Mark Blackwell <markb1958@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:08:18 -0400

I think it would actually be a good idea to take the camera with both lenses to a repairman with a test unit to rule out the camera as being even a possible problem. (though like you I tend to think the problem is elsewhere) The repairman can check the accuracy of the speeds as well and take a quick look for light tightness. These are quick tests and usually cost very little if anything. If they can do it fairly quickly and reasonably a cleaning and lub might not hurt if the camera has been stored a while. Being off isn't the end of the world as long as you know it and its consistent. Light meters can be check usually at the same time without a big deal. I had a meter that was one stop off once, but the shutter was also one stop off so it was of little effect till you used an external light meter that wasn't.

Take both lenses because if I recall correctly the shutter is in the lens with a Hassy. Change the lens, you change the shutter. Problem could be in one lens and not the other. IIRC didn't the Hassy backs have a history of some minor problems? Id take the back with me and let that get a quick look as well just to rule out something like an unusual light leak. I don't think I would ship the camera to get this done if I didn't have a local repairman, but often these check can be done at photo shows ect. Be good to know regardless if this has any impact on the immediate problem