[pure-silver] Re: short dev. times - Yikes!

  • From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 09:49:17 -0400

Hi Janet,

I usually use HC-110 diluted 1+49 and use a developing time 1.5 X that
for dilution B.  Why 1+49, because the amount is easy to figure for a
250 ml or 500 ml tank and it is not far from Kodak's dilution E (1+47).

If you can see the edge markings then the developer worked and if there
is no image then the film was either seriously underexposed or even
un-exposed.

Tri-X and HC-110 is a classic combination.  If your lighting conditions
were a bit flat then you should extend development by 10 to 20% to pick
up the contrast.  BTW, HC-110 produces results that are almost identical
to those for D-76.  Kodak states this in their literature.  Check out
http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/ which contains lots of
information about HC-110 and is a very interesting read.

When development times are very short, < 5 min, then the time to fill
and empty a tank becomes a consideration.  Kodak recommends starting the
timer when you start to fill the tank.

Jerry