[pure-silver] Re: other new darkroom

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 10:51:16 -0500

Do you think 10' is big enough if you only want to make prints say up to 11x14? My sink now is less than 10' long.

--shannon

On May 31, 2008, at 9:06 AM, Dennis Purdy wrote:

On May 31, 2008, at 06:39, Shannon Stoney wrote:

Your darkroom sounds great. I have a book about building a darkroom, but I'll look for these too.

I hope you never have to move! Putting it in a trailer is a good idea though. That crossed my mind too.

A contractor is coming to see my site next week. I think I am going to tell him I want a building about 10'x20'. There would be two rooms, one in the back that is 10' x 10' for the darkroom, and one in the front for matting, framing, storage, and other studio work. That front room would have two windows. And maybe a little porch. Judging by my current darkroom, I think that will be big enough and not cost too much.

--shannon

I wouldn't be able to make do with a darkroom that size. I have a 14 foot sink 36 wide that is full with 16 x20 trays with 16x20 washer and 20x24 water and hypo clear tray. I had to mount the plumbing on the wall to get it out of my sink space. I built the sink from wood and under the sink are shelves for chemicals and a cabinet for other chemicals and some paper items. Across from the sink is a drying rack cabinet that is 5 feet x 30 inches by 40 inches high that holds some negative storage on top and is where the dry mount press sits. In the dry part of the darkroom I have 16 feet of cabinet and counter that wraps around the end of the room and is all shelving underneath and another cabinet that is 5 feet by 36 inches by 40 inches that holds the enlarger and drop shelves and easels.

That space is completely filled and is hard to maintain in an organized manner. then I have a completely different room for another sink that is dedicated to film process and that room has the 6 foot sink and a 4 foot wide 6.5 foot high film drying cabinet. and another counter with shelves underneath for film processing stuff and all the chems are kept on shelves under the sink. Plus there is another tall small cabinet in that room that I use to load film reels for processing and the cabinet holds sheet film holders so I can load them there.

Then in another room I have a 12 foot cabinet 36 inches deep and 40 inches high that is full of finish prints and supplies and is where the light box sits and the mat cutter and has an area dedicated to platinum coating. the UV light gets set up in the film room. All this space dedicated to darkroom and finish work and I feel very crammed in. I have to clean and organize constantly.

I do love my concrete floor. With rubber mats bought at Home Depot. I used to have my darkroom on a wooden floor and when I made a print I had to hold still so as not to cause vibration. the concrete floor is solid as a rock and I can dance if I want while exposing a print.

Oh yea I forgot to mention the other cabinet that has a stereo on top and is filled with boxes and packaging supplies.

Dennis