[pure-silver] Re: odd neg

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 07:04:22 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Nelson" <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "pure silver" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 13, 2009 9:16 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] odd neg

I was asked to push a delta 100 4x5 neg 2 stops so I opted for t-max developer @75 for 7 mins.

This is the odd looking result. http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/6230/wtfkb.jpg

Now I suppose the thing will print fine but what is that odd color there? Tmax RS is supposed to prevent that chromatic whatchamacallit but there were no times for RS in the Ilford literature and I was already having to give my best guess as to the time.

thanks

Eric

Supposedly T-Max RS has a silver sequestering agent in it to prevent dichroic fog. Not all developers produce dichroic fog but T-Max, without the RS is not recommended by Kodak for sheet film for this reason. I am not sure how close the formulas are otherwise, my suspicion is that there are more differences. The RS means Replenis System because the developer is also its own replenisher. Again, this is a bigger difference than just a dichroic fog preventer. Its possible youre negatives have dichroic fog, I can't really tell from the scan. Dichroic fog is a coating of colloidal silver on the surface of the negative. It appears greenish or bluish by reflected light and yellowish by transmitted light. It can have an oil-slick appearance by reflected light. Dichroic fog can be removed by using a mild silver solvent. Kodak's current recommendation is to use film strength rapid fixer with about 15grams/liter of citric acid added. Ammonium thiosulfate fixer, when acid, is a mild solvent for metallic silver and the citric acid acts as a sequestering agent to prevent the dissolved silver from being re-deposited on the film. BTW, this silver solvent action is the reason rapid fixer can cause some bleaching of paper if fixing is carried on too long. Its also the reason that a weaker dilution is recommended for paper. The bleaching action exists only when the fixing bath is sufficiently acid, neutral rapid fixer does not bleach.