[pure-silver] Re: largest camera ever used

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 19:24:07 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Roseborough" <platinumprinter@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 7:09 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: largest camera ever used

Got ya! I'll bet that the color was fantastic. Registration must have been touchy.

I don't know about Curtis but Devin-Mc Graw survived through the late 50's when Tri-Color Carbon/Carbro was replaced by Dye Transfer. I believe they were bought by National Color which survives today. They still make the pellicle mirrors for the 5x7 Devin One Shot.

I have some 14x17 Tri-Color Carbros made between the late 30's and 1960. Obviously the New York commercial houses were still in business then although 1960 was most likely the very end of the commercial trade. And yes they are gorgeous. They have a color pallet that, to my eyes, is different and superior to what is being done today.

John Roseborough
Platinum Printer

Thanks for the history. Its interesting to hear that National still survives. I was contacted a couple of years ago by someone who had a National camera he found at a sale somewhere. He wanted to get it working again. I wish I had known that National still supplied pellicles then. I wonder if they also supply filters or anything else. Thomas S. Curtis was a West coast company located in the Los Angeles area. At least one of their addresses was not far from where I live, but of course, nothing is left. Curtis cameras seems to have been pretty widely used, at least in the West. They made a small camera 3-1/4 x 4/1/4 I think, called the Curtis Color Scout. I've seen pictures taken at Hollywood still sessions where these were in use. I am not clear on which companies were which. There were three at one time, Devin-McGraw, National Photocolor, and Curtis. I think Devin-McGraw and National merged at some point but may have this wrong. In any case both companies made carbro materials and supplied matched film or plate sets. My understanding is that the carbon tissue made by Autocolor in England was not very reliable or had other problems so that it was not much used by the professionals. There is probably a body of history about all this somewhere.

---