[pure-silver] Re: how did these scratches happen?

  • From: Mark Blackwell <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 21:37:08 -0800 (PST)

When I looked at it I saw scratches not streaks, but if you are getting streaks
and had problems with photo flo in the past one of the first steps would be to
get rid of it and replace it with fresh.

Now here is another guess.  Someone I knew a while back used to have problems
with scratches.  What she found was some of the stones along the side of her
wedding ring, those tiny small diamonds along the side of the ring would catch
the film as it went on the roll.  She didn't work with gloves, but it only
caught the film when the ring twisted just a bit and made for a real puzzler.
She now had an excuse to take off her wedding ring.

I have seen those types of scratches when 35mm film is pulled out of the can.
Maybe the backing paper caught it a bit.  It also could be a defect in
manufacturing, but those often run the length of the entire roll.

Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday, March 03, 2008, at 06:52PM, "Eric Nelson"  wrote:
>I ask myself that questions sometimes as well.  =)
>In this case it's not drying marks but something
>scratched the emulsion.
>Black marks in print=missing emulsion...always.
>Eric
>
>--- Shannon Stoney
>wrote:
>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/shannonstoney/
 If you look here you will see some nasty scratches
>> on some 120 film,

The black portions seem to be preceded by paler streaks. This would suggest to
be that the abrasion occurred before the film was developed. Physically
stressing the film can lead to developable marks. The most common version of
these are crimp marks, seen when you fold the film too tightly to get into the
reels. These are not, however crimp marks but seem to be the result of an
abrasion event which ended in removing some emulsion at the end of the streaks,
hence the black marks alluded to by Eric Nelson.
All the best
Laurence Cuffe