[pure-silver] Re: how did these scratches happen?

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 16:14:22 -0800

On Monday, March 03, 2008, at 06:52PM, "Eric Nelson" <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I ask myself that questions sometimes as well.  =)
>In this case it's not drying marks but something
>scratched the emulsion.
>Black marks in print=missing emulsion...always.
>Eric
>
>--- Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>wrote:
>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/shannonstoney/
 If you look here you will see some nasty scratches
>> on some 120 film,

The black portions seem to be preceded by paler streaks. This would suggest to
be that the abrasion occurred before the film was developed. Physically
stressing the film can lead to developable marks. The most common version of
these are crimp marks, seen when you fold the film too tightly to get into the
reels. These are not, however crimp marks but seem to be the result of an
abrasion event which ended in removing some emulsion at the end of the streaks,
hence the black marks alluded to by Eric Nelson.
All the best
Laurence Cuffe