[pure-silver] Re: fixer question - wash water xchg rate

  • From: ERoustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 08:12:58 -0400

I use a dish washing tub, maybe it's a 3 Gallon tub. I have one hole in the middle bottom, and three holes (about 1/16") on each side along the bottom. I put the print in face up, I and start to fill it, when it's full I turn the water off, and let it drain. This takes about 5 minutes. I do that twice before and after the Hypo Clearing Agent. The prints tends to float up, and I gently push it down. The current leaving through the bottom hole pulls it down a bit. The concept is that the water flows down and away (across) from the emulsion. The only modification I want to make is wide grid of fishing line sewn in through the sides to hold the print off the bottom.

E.

On Jun 3, 2008, at 9:34 PM, Eric Nelson wrote:

I used food coloring to test my Kostiner "archival"
washer years back and was disturbed when I saw how
long it took to run clear, so to expedite that, I dump
about 25% off the top by tilting the unit once or
twice during a 1 hour wash.  Also a pre-wash after
hypo clearing lessens the carry over.  I find them
very inefficient.

The only advantage to this style washer it seems is I
can leave it alone as opposed to a siphon which I need
to monitor to make sure the prints are shuffled.

So w/the Kostiner, it's 1 hour or more washing
(inefficient) but I can walk away, have dinner and
come back to deal with the prints later, or 20 minutes
of fairly regular monitoring w/a siphon.

My prints have always tested negative for any residual
fix using the "archival" washer.

Eric

--- Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

     Kodak's recommendation is that the water in the
washing
vessel change completely in five minutes. This is a
bit
misleading since a running water tank or tray
changes
exponentially. What is important is the rate of
change at
the surfaces of the paper. The emulsion washes out
by
diffusion, an exponential process. The rate at which
the
hypo leaves depends on the difference in
concentration of
hypo in the emulsion versus the concentration in the
wash
water at its surface. The greater the difference the
faster
the hypo diffuses into the water. Obviously, even
when there
is no hypo in the water, the rate will become slower
as the
washing progresses. If a print or film is washed in
standing
water the hypo will form a cloud at the surface and
eventually reach approximate equilibrium where the
process
becomes very slow. The diffusion continues into the
body of
the water in the vessel so that the processes is
continuous
until it reaches true equalibrium but without
agitation it
will essentially stop at some point. The idea that
hypo is
heavier than water and will sink is a
misunderstanding of
the process. There may be some slight convexion at
the
surface but nothing more.
    The best washing is in a low volume vessel with
continuous change of water at the surface, for
instance, the
spray washing found in many motion picture
processing
machines. Large volume tanks with relatively low
flow rates,
such as many "archival" washers, are less effective
than a
tray with a Kodak tray syphon in it, provided that a
single
print is washed so that both surfaces are exposed to
the
water. This is quite practica for RC paper, which
also has a
short wash time but may be a problem for fiber and
for large
quantity work. The best "archival" type washers,
perhaps
"vertical" washer is a better term, are those with
the
smallest volume and highest flow rate at the
surfaces of the
prints.
     One way of testing the flow rate of a tank or
tray is
to get it going and then put some vegetable dye in
it. I've
used the juice from canned beets. See how long it
takes
before the color fades to the point where it is
visibly gone
(again this is exponential). It should not be more
than five
minutes. I have a Zone VI 16x20 washer which has too
low a
flow rate. I use it by putting it in a bathtub and
allowing
it to overflow the top. I also make a practice of
pulling
the plug and draining it about halfway through the
wash and
starting over with a fresh filling. I also use a
16x20 tray
(actually about 18x24) with a Kodak tray syphon.
This will
discharge the dye in about two minutes at a
reasonable flow
rate.
     One can also achieve good washing using the
successive
bath method. This is necessary were running water is
not
available or where fresh water is at a premium. Both
Kodak
and Ilford have instructions for this method. They
are
slightly different: Kodak recommends several
successive
baths of the same length while Ilford recommends
baths which
begin by being short and are successivly longer.
This is to
take advantage of the exponential rate of washing.
Both are
effective but the Ilford method probably uses less
water.
     Since the support of fiber paper does not wash
out by a
strictly diffusion process it needs more time. The
emulsion
of fiber will wash out nearly as quickly as RC paper
but the
substrate (Baryta layer) and support take longer
even when a
wash aid is used.
     Paper and film can be tested for residual hypo
by using
the silver nitrate test recommended by Kodak. This
consists
of a solution of silver nitrate in acetic acid as a
preservative. Its used in the same way as the
residual
silver test mentioned in an earlier post. A couple
of drops
are placed on the wet, but blotted off, emulsion
surface and
allowed to stand for about two minutes. There should
be no
more than a very slight yellow stain. The stain will
darken
with time so the examination should be made
immediately.
There is a method of fixing the stain so that a
densitometer
can be used to determine the quantity of hypo
remaining.
     A true answer this question would require
knowledge of
the diffusion rate of the emulsion involved and also
the
rate of washing of the support of fiber paper. There
are
some actual rates mentioned in the literature but
they are
important only for very critical work. The Kodak
recommendations will result in fixing and washing
sufficient
for good permanence.
     I try to avoid using the term "archival"
because it is
really very vague. True archival use implys that the
prints
or films will be stored in highly controlled
conditions,
certainly not displayed. We are mostly concerned
with making
our images in a way that is not overly sensitive to
atmospheric polutants or has residual compounds
contained in
it which attack the image. This is not too
difficult, one
needs only to follow good conventional practice.
     The use of a sulfite wash aid will reduce both
paper
and film wash times by a factor of about six times.

---