[pure-silver] Re: fixer question - wash water xchg rate

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 17:59:27 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "ERoustom" <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 5:31 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: fixer question - wash water xchg rate

Thank you Richard for you generosity here, and in other forums.

Elias

   Thank you. The fact is that I enjoy it:-)

or film is washed in standing water the hypo will form a cloud at the surface and
Just to be clear I mean the surface of the emulsion not the surface of the container. In re-reading this it occured to me that this might be open to confusion. If there was no boundary to the container the hypo would form a cloud of diminishing concentration that would just keep spreading. The process would continue infinitely but the rate would eventually become very slow. Where the volume of water in the container is limited it will reach equalibrium where the concentration is essentially the same thoughout the body of the water and in the emulsion (this is not quite academically correct but close enough to describe what happens in practice) and diffusion will stop. The sort of overnight soaks in still water recommended by some writers a few years ago is along this model. Its ineffective for washing and can damage the support. Ryuji Suzuki warns about some of the stuff in old literature, its a good warning. I have also come to the conclusion that a lot of photo chemistry even in modern popular literature is alchemy not chemistry and is often just plain wrong.

---