[pure-silver] Re: baking soda as wash aid

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:34:14 -0500 (EST)

From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: baking soda as wash aid
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:15:31 -0500

> As I said, I think you misread my statement; it's easy to read carbonate
> instead of bicarbonate, especially after reading a lot of emails.

I didn't misread, and I don't agree with what you said.
Bicarbonate solution may decrease pH but not increase.

> I think you will agree that sodium bicarbonate is already the acid salt
> of carbonic acid and cannot absorb C02.

I disagree. Bicarbonate is a base form of carbonic acid.  Carbonate is
another base form of carbonic acid. Carbonic acid will lower the pH of
either solution. Review of the freshman chem textbook is in order.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."