[pure-silver] Re: baking soda as wash aid

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, chris.woodhouse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:03:41 -0500 (EST)

From: Christopher Woodhouse <chris.woodhouse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: baking soda as wash aid
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 20:54:40 +0000

> It is however remarkable the ingenuity and flexibility of the photographic
> processes during the years. We can develop films with boiled bits of oak
> trees, poison ourselves with mercury vapour in an US civil war tent and now
> all that stands between us and progress is the environmental lobby and the
> fickle commercial interests of the photographic giants.

If the same goal can be achieved with chamicals that are safer to the
environment as well as photographers, I don't see any excuse not to do
so. Of course it is sometimes tradeoff with other factors like
convenience but without someone trying, nothing will change.

AFAIK, mercury vapor was never used with silver gelatin, or anything
other than Daguerreotype. I think Civil War was already in the era
of wet collodion plates.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."