[pure-silver] Re: another update.

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 12:10:25 -0700

   I posted the URL of a site with instruction books.
https://www.butkus.org/
   The manuals are at:
https://www.butkus.org/chinon/index.html
    Large format at:
https://www.butkus.org/chinon/large_format.htm

He has several Linhof manuals including a couple of versions of the Technika.

I don't know what is holding it but there will be a catch somewhere (there is a catch to everything).
Sometimes they are not obvious, for instance, up to the Pacemaker series of Graphics the latch for opening the front was on the top center, on the later cameras its on the left side. If you are familiar with the earlier models it will frustrate the heck out of you.
Your camera may have a replacement bellows. The older Linhofs were notorious for bad bellows. If its made of a synthetic it will last forever if not mechanically damaged.

On 4/13/2019 10:06 AM, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Another update.   The good news is I think the bellows is fine. One evening I put an led flashlight, that just fit in a 35 mm lens board hole.  As the end of the light got a bit larger, and had a rubber like covering it almost sealed completely.    No light seen from anywhere in the bellows.  Still not sure of what its made out of though.  It doesn't feel like vinyl and doesn't have a leather feel or smell.  Richard might have been right in that it might be synthetic.  It's not dried out, think it might be best to just leave it alone.

Also another piece of luck.  I may have found a lens board that will work.  When I bought it, it said it was for a Copal 1 shutter and would work with a technika, but who knows.  It was worth the $40 to find out.  Id rather not have to build right now.  It its a must, so be it.

Now for the first time I am trying to fold it back up and running into problems.   Feels like there must some sort of stop its hitting, but I sure don't see it.

I know this is all a part of the process, but this kind of probably simple stuff drives me up a wall.

If anyone knows where the catch is or what you have to do, it would be appreciated.  I'll go do some digging. It shouldn't be this hard and probably isn't.  Operator error is the most likely cause, but figuring it out this way certainly isn't ideal

WB6KBL