[pure-silver] Re: another toning question

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 06:10:09 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: janet ness <nessj@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Nov 6, 2005 11:01 PM
To: pure-silver <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] another toning question

I admire the prints of Michael Kenna.  I like their subtle tone, a slight tan
in the grays and highlights.  I have heard that he uses sepia.  I have limited
experience with sepia toning.  How would he use sepia to achieve such a tone?
Would it be by partial bleaching?

Janet Ness

      Its hard to tell from his web site but whats there looks more like lith
prints than toning- maybe. I've tried partial bleaching but get a much stronger
color on the toned parts, perhaps very slight bleaching would do it.
      Probably the best single source of information on toning is Tim Rudman's
book _The Photographer's Master Printing Course_  He also has a book on lith
printing. I thought he followed this list.